Thursday, June 05, 2014

The chicken the fox and the car

Often when I am trying to work out where a vehicle needs to be in order for me to get to work and move my boat and so forth I am reminded of the old school game of trying to get the chicken, the grain and the fox across the river without the fox eating the chicken or the latter eating the grain.

Needless to say I couldn't see what all the fuss was about - particularly as football was more interesting....so while they did that, I kicked a ball around and the chicken, fox and grain, never entered my mind.  I wish it had, for I often sit with friends trying to work out what vehicle needs to be where and we get in a right pickle.

So, after working out what needed to be where in order to ensure I could be where I needed to be with the right vehicles in the right place all was good.  It was all arranged so that Mr Paris and I could fiddle with my motorcycle and fit the new part without too much hassle. With everything in the right place I rather triumphantly set off in my car yesterday morning to London.  The right vehicle in the right place at the right time. RESULT.

Except I left my motorcycle keys  on the boat.

I stopped half way to London to look at new mattress' (I seriously need a new one) and thought the clutch was a bit spongey. Being super efficient I called the garage to check I could take it round there on my way home and perhaps book it in next week. No problem.

Super efficient and rather big headed me headed off on my journey again.  Pride comes before a fall and I got to the outskirts of the town to find myself broken down at the traffic lights. A fluster and a flap later and I was able to engage gear and crawl slowly to where I needed to be....and called the AA.

The AA came very quickly and took the car to the garage, via the hospital for an important drop off (another story).  They couldn't take me to the boat because it was out of their radius (and not where my address is anyway).   So there I was with the car in the right place with me in the wrong place and the keys to the bike 40miles away along with the boat and my bed.

The garage offered to lend me a car - which happens to be for sale.  My car has been a right scamp since I got it so buying another car would really be a good thing to do.... I am very tempted - the price is right, but the mileage is too high so temptation will have to hold off until I find the right car.  I don't know anything about cars but it is definitely time to find another one.


The motorcycle and the car are therefore waiting for repair. Sod the chicken, the fox and the grain.


4 Comments:

Blogger Halfie said...

High mileage need not be a problem. At least you know it hasn't been clocked.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Alf said...

When I bought my present car it only had 158,000 miles on it !! It's run well since !! (That'll put the mockers on it !!!)

1:55 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

My sympathies, I found bunny hopping two cars along far too much and it made my head hurt.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Malcolm said...

If the chicken eats the grain and the fox eats the chicken, then you only need to get the fox across the river, simples! I'm not sure how that would have helped with the keys.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home