Monday, February 17, 2014

No more sympathy - the boy is in paradise!

Maffi has been stuck in Loughborough for what seems to be an absolute age and I have been nurturing and increasing amount of sympathy for his plight.
Boaters were built to motor and as he hasn’t been doing that I wondered what he had been up to.  I was feeling rather woe’d (Bones/Maffi terminology) on his behalf. He has had a great time catching up with various people also stuck there, done some work on his boat and generally making it into the papers for his work clearing up the rubbish he comes across. BUT – I still thought the cabin fever may be setting in as he waits for the rivers to behave.
As a trip up north was planned on Saturday I suggested we dropped in on the way back to see Maffi.  After a delicious meal Maffi suggests we go to the Great Central Railway which turns out to be on his doorstep (I HAD NO IDEA!).
NO MORE SYMPATHY – the boy is in paradise.
The engines towered above us in true splendour.  There wasn’t time to go on a ride – but what a brilliant place!
Maffi and Molly wondering whether we had to stand in the rain for much longer.
2014-02-15 15.35.53
The trains!
2014-02-15 14.59.142014-02-15 14.59.522014-02-15 15.07.54
2014-02-15 15.33.10
2014-02-15 14.50.01
2014-02-15 15.09.25
Does anyone know what these are?
ADDED: Mike tells me they are "second hand parts for new bridges to connect the GCR to GCR North so we have a bigger railway"
2014-02-15 15.40.48

7 Comments:

Anonymous Graham said...

Bones,

Hard to see too much detail of your mystery objects but I think that they could be bridge sections.

I see that Maffi has taken to his blog again. Your influence?

11:32 AM  
Blogger Nev Wells said...

Your blog just made me smile, thank you. I rarely have sympathy with those out there on the cut while I spend my life in an office behind a desk.....If Maffi needs a lift anywhere I am only just up the road....

Nev NB Percy

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Wozie nb Oakfield said...

Yes, we enjoyed mooring in Loughborough and spending a whole day at the GNR watching the steam trains, magic!
There is also a Bell Foundry which is quite a walk from the canal, although on our arrival we found it was shut.
However we did hear some tunes being played in the Carillon Tower in the park one sunny afternoon which was unusual.

12:54 PM  
Blogger chevyimp said...

Just wanted to say I've been reading your blog for what must be five years or more. I would read it for inspiration while I was building my own boat and find myself jollied on and sometimes moved by your various happenings .
Thank you for words and photos ms bones.
That is all.

10:11 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

chevyimp,
Thank you for your thankyou. What a surprise to see your post. Thank you.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is the Graham in the first comment he of NB Alnwick? If not, please be aware that said Graham used to be the Fat Controller of GCR.
Rgds, Johnny Essex, NB Nota Bene.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is the Graham in the first comment he of NB Alnwick? If not, please be aware that said Graham used to be the Fat Controller of GCR.
Rgds, Johnny Essex, NB Nota Bene.

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home