Monday, October 21, 2013

hole in my stove

So I fixed the hole in the stove by cleaning up the back plate thing

P1030562

That was a right fiasco which involved having to bandage my finger!

The wire brush got banished and the drill became new favourite toy.

I couldn’t find my vice to clamp everything to drill it but a pair of mole grips and the mooring ring seemed to do the job

P1030563

The drilling was slow as my drill bits are blunt but it got there in the end.

I was rather interested in the comments from the passers by. One tried to tell me my drill bit was a wood drill bit.  I tried to tell him it was simply blunt but he wasn’t having any of it.  I went inside for some fresh air and when he had gone I went back to the job in hand.  Before anyone questions me again it really was a metal one, and it really was blunt!

I tested the fire – the bit I fixed kept the smoke in – shame about the other bit of the fire I thought was OK!  So I fixed that, and then the next bit.

I will test it proper with some heat when I am home this evening and with any luck that will be the end of that for another few weeks until the cold weather sets in. 

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Would you like a new set of 'sharp' drills for your birthday.

11:53 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Yes please! Cheap-o ones though. I have no means to sharpen them so they end up getting treated as disposable. I don't want wood or masonry ones though. I have plenty of those!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Andy Tidy said...

Bones - Cheap may be a false economy as they blunt at once. A better quality bit holds its sharpness for much longer.
I never sharpen mine - use till blunt and then chuck them.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Steve Parkin said...

My stove back plate also fell out this year because the bar that held it in place snapped. Had to improvise but luckily I didn't need to drill anything. see http://nbalbert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/spring-cruise-or-is-it-to-warwick.html

Steve, NB Albert

5:06 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Maffi you are such a creep! :-D

5:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No I'm not! Just stuck for a birthday present idea.

8:11 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

I can write you a list!!! But drill bits would be lovely.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home