Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Day 3 In Paris: Sacre Coeur

I thought I might have a spot of free time while in France and being the sort of person that tries to make the best of a bad job I set myself a task. I asked my friends what ONE THING they would do if they were here. I only wanted one thing as I wasn't sure I would have much time. If I did then what better way to spend it than in the footprint of friends. Today took me to the Sacre Coeur. I didn't know what to expect (I didn't google these places as I thought it would spoil the fun) but as the map said the there was a cemetery was nearby I knew it would be ok.

The underground tunnels, where I spend too much time, took me to the wrong place. I emerged above ground at the Arc de Triomphe. I almost didn't bother to return down the mouth of the underground, but I did and I am pleased. I emerged near Sacre Coeur and, again, nearly returned underground....but after a scout around I began to climb and I am pleased I did. THIS is Paris that everyone tells me about, but more importantly this is the France I had hoped I would see. The view from the Sacre Coeur is beautiful



but around the corner the streets are wonky, the buildings are querky and the streets are lined with gay Paris; balconies, shutters and cafes. Artists gather in La Place du Tetre and cobbles rest under each footprint.

 

THIS is Paris.

La Place du Tetre is the sort of place I hunt out every time I visit a city. I have walked miles searching for such places but this appeared right under my nose. I hunt these places out and I buy a painting by a street artist...a painting chosen by me for various incomprehensible reasons. I hadn't expected to have one of Paris, nor to find such a place but I have. This place is lovely.

 

I couldn't stay long but I sat under the blue and white cafe watching the world go by and when my time was up I left. The Moule Marine would have to wait.

I am pleased to have found some life in this sterile shiny claustrophobic underground city. Thank you, friend.


 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home