Friday, June 15, 2012

Engines

The greatest disadvantage with red boards is the inability to move away from noisy neighbours.

As my neighbours seem to have to run their generator until gone 11pm I had hoped they would at least not run their boat engine in the morning. No such luck. It is roaring away for the usual 25minutes for hot water before 7am. I have already spoken to them and they did move their generator to the other end of their boat so it isn't all bad. However, the two engines and the five dogs certainly don't enhance the peace and quiet.

I am not particularly into conflict and having had conversations with them I am trying to be patient - there isn't anything else I can do. The EA doesn't have an 8-8 engine running policy on the Thames and my neighbours don't have a 'we want to make lots of noise let's moor in the countryside' policy....rather they said they do consider their neighbours and try to be good neighbours....this is little comfort but then I have to remember this is then them being considerate.

In the meantime my sleep pattern is becoming even more chaotic and the general irritation of noise is no fun.

We are still on red boards and getting low on water. We are plotting our great escape to more rural climates but for now the rain comes down, the water comes up and the days go on. The crisp mornings provide visual peace even if the engines don't.


3 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Hi Bones,
Sorry to hear that you’re having problems with noisy neighbours and that you’re not enjoying the confines of not being able to ‘move on’. Can I ask where you are on the Thames? We’re heading that way from Braunston and were wondering if the red boards are up everywhere. Kind Regards.

10:05 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

is the website where you can get an idea about whether we are on red boards. However, it isn't always accurate so it is much better to telephone the lock keeper of the lock you are wanting to go through to get an idea about upstream and downstream conditions (depending on which way you are going)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

You'll soon be on your way, I'm sure.

I do envy the freedom to simply 'up pins' and move on. Good for the soul, I imagine.

4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home