Sunday, May 06, 2012

Bones bakes part 1

Some time ago Sue from No Problem gave me some 'inserts' ( you can imagine how my mind boggled before she produced them) for my cake tin and the Bottles from Oakfield gave me a recipe for their delicious ginger cake. Finally I have got around to baking. My attempt is currently in the oven with only a few mishaps along the way. It has gone better than I expected. I trotted to Sainsbury this morning for the ingredients but was foiled by the margarine. Now, when I was a lass there were cartons of stuff with margarine written clearly on the tub. These days the shelves don't seem to have margarine. What they do have is a selection of butter (easy to see as it comes wrapped up nicely in special paper) and then a phenomenal amount of stuff in plastic containers claiming, on the tub, that it is just like butter, but clearly isn't in all respects. I got confused and had to phone the margarine expert ( nb Oakfield) who assisted my purchase. It transpires that when it says 'seriously gov it is just like butter' on the label it is actually margarine.
Well, that's my assessment of the situation.
For a bunch of people who don't, these days, bake or cook (or so said the said the radio this morning) there seemed to be a lot of margarine on the shelf. I can only conclude that people are still baking bucket loads of cakes. I approve. I can't believe they use it on their toast... Which sounds like another slogan from the plastic container shelf of doom.

5 Comments:

Blogger Geoff and Mags said...

Mags uses Stork for her baking... and it seems to work well!

7:19 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

What is stork? Is it better than the margarine that pretends not to be?

7:33 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I am quite taken with Vitalite, but I only realised it was a proper margarine (i.e. no added water, buttermilk etc) when I read the container carefully prior to making a cake with it, as I hadn't got enough butter. It turned out jolly nicely so i would use it again.

7:39 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

I knows song about vitalite. I will use that instead next time, this recipe doesn't use butter which was a shame as I have heaps of it!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Thankd for the post Bones. You've inspired me to switch the oven on and do some baking of my own.

But "what's Stork?"

Thanks, you've just made this man of 48 years feel exceptionally old

Pete

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home