Sunday, May 22, 2011

Camera. Poetry. Homeless. Cambridge.

When I was in my teens I spent quite a lot of time with the homeless people of my local town.  There were many things I learnt from this group of people , but as time went by I became particularly interested in their Poetry. Street Poetry. The rawness struck a chord with me and I liked it.

The way every day life was depicted through words was marvellous. I had never really been exposed to non-classical poetry other than when at the Ancestral home where we would play poetry games. It wasn’t all silly some was serious such as the writings in my little books and some of those I lived with. So to see all this in Street Poetry was an eye opener.

Street poetry was both heart wrenching and funny; some in a gut wrenching laugh way and others in a black comedy way, but funny all the same. The openness was raw. A time shared. Printed.

Today when browsing the news I came across the headlines “Cambridge homeless show pinhole beer can camera pictures” and I have read with joy that once again there is something unique going on in that town.  It says “..the results so impressed the charity it is holding an exhibition of the photographs and selling beer can pinhole camera kits to raise money..” Full story HERE

So if you are in Cambridge today you can catch the last day of the exhibition at Chesterton Tower from 2 –5pm today.  They are raising money for FLACK

4 Comments:

Anonymous Malcolm said...

Hi

I've been following your blog for a while, it's been most informative about living aboard a narrowboat.

I have a few questions but if you feel they're intrusive, respond with a 'no comment' and I'll understand.

Is Mortimer Bones your real name and
how do I address you, is it Dr Bones, Bones, Mortimer or Mort?

You mention that your work is funded and that you're a scientist (hence the bones?) yet you also talk about computer programming, it all sounds very interesting, so what is it that you do?

Regards

Malcolm

3:05 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:09 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Call me Bones. It is a family name but I do, as it happens, like bones. I find the skeletal structure of life fascinating.


I am a scientist and rely on grants to fund my work, I do some psychophysics which is where the programming comes in. I am not really a programmer but needs must.

anyway... back to boats which is what all this is about. You don't mention whether you have a website too?

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Malcolm said...

OK, Bones it is.

Thanks for replying, maybe you can tell me more some time in the future.

I don't have a website but I do have a boat (small catamaran), a share in a 29ft yacht and a friend with a narrowboat.

I've just returned from three days in the Solent, 30+ knots of wind and two engine failures. A challenge, but not exactly conducive to the relaxed lifestyle I seek.

I love the slow pace of life on our waterways, so I'm going to rent my house and buy a boat to live aboard.

Things have been delayed recently due to family circumstances, but your blog has been very inspiring and I'm currently searching the Net for a boat that 'speaks' to me.

Keep blogging and I'll keep reading.

Kind regards

Malcolm

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home