Thursday, December 02, 2010

A good turn – I bet that was a surprise.

In my post the other day about the lorry someone left a tongue in cheek comment about Maffi

“..had it happened to Maffi, of course, well... ;-)” 

Maffi isn’t renowned in our parts for letting things go or keeping the peace when something bad happens to him but the comment did make me wonder again how people do see him, especially following the vandalism to his boat (and subsequent police visit in which I had to verify a few things which I didn’t enjoy).

Often people don’t see behind the fog that fills their vision from their own or others issues and their interpretation of the so-called “facts”.  Often, I find, the critical finger that points is just the one that isn’t pointing back at oneself three times over.  I wonder if the many people that read Maffi’s blog or interact with him would put him down as a good Samaritan?

I can think of several people who would stop short if they discovered that a man on the bus this morning would think of Maffi like that. Someone said to me once ‘oh you know what Maffi is like’ and they actually meant the grumps, not the good (which is my usual default of thought). People seem to enjoy focusing on grumps  the negative, the bad don’t they.

So, the man on the bus this morning. His grasp of English was lacking and his bus card didn’t seem to be working. He had paperwork to show that he should have money on the bus pass but the driver couldn’t accept it. The driver told him to buy a ticket and claim the money back later but unfortunately he didn’t have any cash on him and he had to get to work. Without a fuss Maffi noticed what was going on and stood up and paid the fare. I doubt anyone even noticed. I wouldn’t have decided what to do before the man was thrown off the bus and we were wending our merry way into the thriving metropolis. Maffi did.

I wonder if he will get any brownie points (not that he wants them) or will this example of good will be stuffed under the carpet and regarded as a glitch in the matrix?

Sometimes I think people just look for a fight.

10 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

What a kind thing for Maffi to do, and I am not surprised at all. When we moored near Milly M in Abingdon some years ago now he (and you in fact!) was so good to us, helping us find a good mooring, and coal etc. We are all entitled to a grumble now and then and Maffi says what he thinks on his blog, as he has a right to. But I always think of him as the good, kind man that he is.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is only the ill informed and ignorant that think of Maffi in such a way, opinion is a wonderful thing and stifling opinion is against what we stand for in this country. The more well informed of us know and enjoy Maffi for who he is.
Well said.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you two sure sure you have the right Maffi. Coz you are ruining a reputation I have worked hard for. :~)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Andy Tidy said...

Maffi - thems wot takes the time to knowz him noze wot a good geezer he is.
Maffi has a good heart and a true spirit and I respect him for it.
Andy

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Maffi's great!

When I first met you and Maffi, I was after a Chandlery to buy some rope. No sooner as he knew this, he was bustling about on Millie M, and came back with the perfect bit of rope to attach to my anchor. He wouldn't take anything for it.

It was then decided that PJ was just the person to tie knots, and in no time he was hanging over the bow of the boat putting it all together.

(It's still there and I think of you all every time I spy it!)

Mary P x

12:02 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Maffi is a great person - AND is celebrating.......lol!
Sue Livens

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read Maffi's blog, but never met him.
It is nice to know my opinion of him was correct.

Freezing in Iowa

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Wiggins said...

I think bc blogs feel more personal, they tend to have more grumpiness in them, as humans do tend just to remember & write down the annoying crap, bc you don't fuss when things work right, only noticing when they go wrong.
And there is often a built in cultural filter that stops us saying "I did a nice thing today".

2:45 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

By your blog shall you be known :-)
I've met Maffi and I know he's a lovely chap, but the curmudgeon who writes the blog must be a different person entirely! If you choose to present a certain image or aspect of yourself to people who haven't met you and may never meet you, you can't be surprised if that's what they think you are like.

1:14 PM  
Blogger MissT said...

In the end, Maffi is a grumpy old git. But he's a grumpy old git because he cares about stuff.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home