Friday, October 29, 2010

Progress on the Boat – I blame Crayola.

Work has slowed down on the boat, and when I was trying to decide why this was the case I simply I couldn’t work it out until I thought back, way into the distant past and realised it was all to do with Homebase.

I took the old lining out, put the new lining in, discovered the dry rot, pulled up the floor, put the new floor down, re-fitted the stove and decided to finally return to the job I had started on - the lining. I had some new panels and had painted them with grey water based paint. I decided that really I ought to use an oil based paint, and declared the water based paint on them as the new undercoat.  With that I went to buy some oil based paint and I failed, I couldn’t find any that wasn’t gloss, and I don’t like shiny, particularly not on my walls.

When I lived in one of those dangerous brick things I had endless supplies of oil based paint, but it would appear that fashion has changed from paint and white spirit in ones hair, clothes and indeed everywhere to being washable.

It is as if the entire paint collection for adults has been inspired and remodelled by Crayola. When did Crayola take over the world?

Can adults REALLY not handle white spirit anymore? do we really need to be able to wash paint out of the carpet? Are we really that sloppy…is it really that hard to get paint on the walls and the walls alone (unless painting the ceiling).  Is oil based something we simply can’t handle any more?

NO. Bring back oil based paint.  And, perhaps, while we are at it, lets bring back LESS colour. There are THREE paint aisles in Homebase and only TWO shades of grey! TWO… and both water based. That is not, even by my standards, a reasonable choice.

6 Comments:

Blogger John Witts said...

Hi Bones.

I used to do painting and decorating for a living. I started to leave a comment but it got way too long.

Please have a look at Pippin's blog, (the post rather unimaginatively entitled 'Paint') for the full version.

Cheers,

John

6:55 PM  
Blogger Geoff and Mags said...

Hiya Bones
Try B&Q. They have a range of satin finish oil based paints under their own label.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Bill Rodgers said...

I seem to remember that you are not supposed to put oil based paint over water based paint. The other way works but not oil on water.. Probably should check with someone who knows. Best of luck.

9:24 AM  
Blogger John Witts said...

I'm going to rabbit on again, so have a look at Pippin's blog...

I shall let the title speak for itself!

Cheers,

John

5:12 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hear hear hear hear hear

6:27 PM  
Blogger Area D said...

It's got more to do with the fact that grown-ups can't be trusted not to pour the white spirit down the drain.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home