Thursday, July 22, 2010

Towpath Improvement

This was done ages ago, but when I went through there again today I was reminded that BW did a good job here. Before BW fixed it it the towpath was so narrow it was rather hard to walk along. Now it looks great:

20072010183

BW also fixed the towpath at Enslow opposite the Rock of Gibraltar pub which was in a similar state.  When I first moored in Enslow several years ago there was space to put pins in, but with the speeding boats pins were ripped out and with every ripped out pin comes a bit of bank. Eventually the bank couldn’t take any more, and there was nothing to put the pin into. It was ridiculous.  I was very pleased therefore when I noticed it had been repaired by BW. 

When I was a newbie (on a previous boat), which largely I still am, and I moored in Enslow on the soft mud bank as it was then I used the standard size pins. It was Tad the mooring warden for the area that suggested I use longer pins, and he gave me some.  I always use them now (although I left the pins Tad gave me on the previous boat) as they don’t rip out and don’t take the bank with them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Duchess said...

Closer to Baker's Lock the bank is still seriously crumbling away, and still no sign of BW repairs. A week or two ago a walker mentioned it to me and I encouraged him to phone up and report it. The other day a biker told me he nearly fell into the canal because there was so little towpath left. And I told him to call and complain...

If you stop for awhile by Enslow, do come and visit on Pangolin. There's always tea and wine. Anything else is doubtful, though.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home