Thursday, July 15, 2010

Polystyrene

Yesterday when I got home I decided I really needed to get cracking with some of the work on the boat.  For some reason I feel like I am about to go on holiday and need to get as much done as possible in preparation. The reality is that I am not going on holiday but rather making my way slowly to Cropredy for the festival.  I seem to be one of those people that considers holiday to be a different view out of the window. Anyway, back to the boat.

I purchased some polystyrene to fit next to the doors and having crammed it, uncut, into the car I unloaded it and got the saw out. Unfortunately it was raining; a climate I felt wasn’t suitable for attacking a sheet of polystyrene so, being the genius I am, I took it inside. I have a top tip for anyone thinking about doing this – DO NOT CUT polystyrene inside with a cold saw.  Within seconds I was in a snow dome. Next time I think I will heat up a knife to cut it with. I had polystrene balls everywhere, absolutley everywhere – even on the ceiling – the CEILING I tell you!!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

If you cut it with a hot knife have plenty of ventilation as the fumes are poisonous.

9:11 AM  
Blogger D Baynham said...

Use a craft knife with a blade extracted the depth of the polystyrene and a large strait edge, and cut. LOL. That way you don't get boat dandruff or poisoned by the fumes.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Your lovely sister said...

So now your boat is full of polystyrene snow and fungal spores?!?!

The youth of today...

9:41 PM  
Blogger WeepingCross said...

History repeats itself. I refer to a former episode of the Bones column. 'There is something very satisfying about shoving polystyrene into spaces as bits fall off, and before long an interesting sort of snowstorm effect builds up' ...

11:02 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

yes indeed WC this is true - but when I did in the bedroom, it was empty and I was using LOADS of the stuff... this was just a tiny bit... it would appear that the amount of snow isn't proportional to the amount of polystyrene, the carrying capacity of the air for the stuff seems to reach its maximum instantly!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home