Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Picture Book: To Great Tew

On Saturday morning 8ch, Boots and I took  parked the car in a beautiful village called Nether Worton and strolled across the fields to Great Tew.  The church in Nether Worton is connected directly to a residential building.190620101205

When we arrived at Great Tew Boots was delighted that there were not only enough kittens to warrant a sign, but they were also slow:

190620101187

Fortunately we didn’t see any. Great Tew is full of thatched cottages190620101188 190620101193

And has a post office/flower shop/ tea room.

190620101192

I was rather taken by the china tea cups:

190620101191 

Timmy and Annie who run our tea rooms in Thrupp used to run pubs including the Falkland Arms in Great Tew.  I went there many moons ago and was amazed by the sheer number of choices of whisky behind the bar. You could also buy a clay pipe and some tobacco or some snuff.

190620101195

Revitalised with tea and armed with our map we made our way home.

190620101197

This pipe coming out of the wall of the Manor House, with the archway and the greenery reminded me of some of the photographs that The WeepingCross has taken of holy wells. I wonder if there are any in this area.

190620101199

This gate mechanism caught my eye (not literally)190620101202

And there is a bench next to this tree – a beautiful place to sit and survey the view.

190620101200

Boots loved it… once we managed to escape some rather frolicking horses and avoid the horse field altogether. He wasn’t entirely convinced about being lifted over fence, wire and bush, but he got the hang of it eventually.

 190620101201

We arrived home at lunch time and saw that bloggers No Problem and Sanity Again had finally arrived in Thrupp after a tantalising will they be here today or not (mostly not) journey down the canal. Every time I checked they had moved one lock! I did wonder if they would arrive at all. After planning an evening in the Boat Inn I went home for my snooze. This was welcomingly interrupted by a local,Peter Darch, who came to show me his Levis – what a beauty!

Just as the tea rooms were closing when my friends on Wrens Nest arrived for the evening with their friends.

190620101206 They arrived just in time and we had a lovely cup of tea together.

3 Comments:

Blogger WeepingCross said...

There is actually a Holy Well in Tew but it's up by the hillfort and nowhere near the village! Glad you had a lovely time. Do you remember when we went there and you clambered up the scaffolding in the church?

8:25 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

I must go and find it!

I DO remember when we went there, it was great fun! I also remember another time when I went with M&D and you stayed behind on the boat to do some sewing.. I came home to a beautifully repaired skirt!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Chris said...

Great Tew looks lovely, I must go and have a proper look around not least because I have family connections there, my grandfather came from there and I remember seeing 'Wrens' buried in the churchyard.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home