Monday, February 22, 2010

The Painting Course: Phil Speight

I went up to Stourbridge on a Roses and Castles painting course this weekend run by Phil Speight and Meg. Anyone that knows me will know I am more a skeletons and tomb stones girl, but as the delectable Wrigglefingers suggested we did the course together I couldn’t resist. It is fun doing things with friends and so, off I went.  I knew the weekend was going to go well as soon as I discovered that Wriggles house, where I was staying, has ensuite steam trains!

Saturday morning saw us practicing painting rose petals; mine looked more like decapitated slugs, but I got the hang of it eventually, albeit a hit and miss sort of hang.  By the end of the day we had all painted a bunch of flowers on a tray

21022010327

– mine is in the middle:

21022010328

On Sunday we started on Castles, and while we were waiting for paint to dry we added some twiddles to the trays –

22022010353

The castles  all looked fantastic:

21022010349

A closer look at mine:

22022010354

It was a really enjoyable weekend messing about with paint!  Phil and Meg are excellent instructors and the course was so well managed that not even I lost my temper!

21022010342

Everything is painted in layers, and it is only when it is finished that we could see that we had actually done quite a good job.

Before I went I wasn’t a fan of Roses and Castles but the course with its history and practical application has certainly made me appreciate it more.  I will only ever paint for relaxation rather than decoration and Roses and Castles is a jolly good thing to relax over. It is a stage at a time, simple and great fun!  I am looking forward to practicing what I have learnt.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

it looks like a good result and glad you had fun.

7:32 PM  
Blogger WeepingCross said...

Brilliant! Well done.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Andy Tidy said...

I love it.
I am not a massive Roses and Castles fan myself - but fancy a pair of the bow doors. I have the books and the paint, and probably the skill. The trouble is that the muse never seems to be on me!
Going on a course is probably the answer - and you cant get better than Phil S.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Halfie said...

Looks good, Bones. Not oops at all, as far as I can see!

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Maffi said...

Fabulous very proud making.

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes proud making Bones infact fab!!!!


Free2live

maffi the oops was regarding a spelling in previous post, think bones has taken it down.,

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halfi it was not maffi i must clean my specs

12:20 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

ah yes free - I didn't delete the ooops one as well! I will do that!

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks bones!!!
Free2live

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home