Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hot Water

When I am stationary I get hot water from running my engine.  I rarely run my engine to generate electricity as I have solar panels and if they don’t produce enough for my needs then I change my needs so they do.  The question then, is what do you do for hot water? Are there greener options that actually work?  Summer is not a problem as a black bag of water on the roof soon heats up, but what about winter? So far I have hot water in the evenings by putting the kettle on the fire in the morning, but are there other ways?

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

Have you considered a back boiler on a stove

5:19 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Put the hot water from the night before into a thermos flask for morning.

7:45 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Hello Brian. A back boiler isn't a bad idea. I do periodically think about it but I find the thought of the plumbing a bit daunting.

Lorna - keeping water warm is not a problem in winter - it goes into the kettle and onto the stove (the stove is how I heat the water up in the first place) but it doesn't really work for showers.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Brrr! I do remember the chilly stand-up to the basin and wash all over of my childhood. Low carbon footstep action but an act of masochism for me.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home