Saturday, November 21, 2009

RCR?

I have been neglecting my engine, I have been tinkering with it, but not really doing anything serious.  I have lost first gear, well, it is there but not all the time and I suspect this is because the gear box oil needs changing. It is hurth gear box and they like their oil to be changed regularly.  I have the oil ready.  I also have some leaking back doors which means the rain comes in and my bilge pump isn’t on an automatic float switch.    I did have a bilge pump wired in, but it had a disaster and doesn’t work – I am using my back up one (everyone should have a back up bilge pump).  I also can’t start my engine.

This is not such a big problem because I can short the terminals and the engine roars into life. I have done this twice before, but this evening I was exasperated to discover that the engine wont start again.  The first time I had the problem I thought I would wait and see whether it happened again before I started replacing bits.

The second time was only yesterday.  I can now get the engine to turn over but it wont start.

I have a dilema.  The engine wont start, but I am a member of RCR and could ask them to come and sort it out. The problem is, I am pretty sure I know what the problem is, so can I really justify asking them out.  If I cant justify it, then I really shouldn’t have an RCR subscription because every time the engine has failed me I have found out what the problem is and fixed it.

So – whats wrong?

There is probably water in the fuel and there isn’t any diesel coming through the engine so the water needs emptying and then the engine bled.

The terminals on the starter motor need a jolly good clean.

You may wonder why I dont just jump start the engine and hope for the best – I did, well, I tried but there was a small fire.

I just cant be bothered to fix it, to contort myself into the angles necessary to do it, but I am not sure that is why I have RCR!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have R what you call it,and put your feet up.

PS
think you should write a Dog Story book,

Free2live

5:24 PM  
Blogger Andy Tidy said...

Bones
If its any consolation I know lots about engines and things mechanical, but I still belong to RCR (and the AA come to think about it) because whilst I know what the problem is, it nearly always happens at the most inconvenient moment, when I have neither the time, the tools or the bits to sort it out myself. Give then a call.

5:41 PM  
Blogger James said...

Well, you've paid for RCR membership. They won't give you a refund if you don't call them out, just a small discount on renewal...

Thing is, they'll do enough to get you going again, but won't be able to assist with long-term servicing stuff. So I would imagine that they would do the gearbox oil and get it going, and sort out the fuel, but won't do the starter motor.

And your column would be so dull if you just wrote, "I called a certain organisation that rescues people on canals and rivers, and they fixed it. The end." ;)

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

make a small diesel tank out of a steel petrol container saves keeping the diesel tanks full to avoid the condensation,or buy a horse or a generator or a robot horse which can make electricity



mt

1:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

:-) I know the feeling well. Never a dull moment is there.

11:30 AM  
Blogger kittsy said...

no james a starter motor needs to be removed sent away and re built , and or replaced either would take time and makes more sence to hand it to a local boat yard , it is impossible to carry every spare as this cost alot of money in dead stock , as i am shure you know the word marine always puts 70% on the cost of anything to do with boats , and the service is wot it is a breakdown service not a marina on wheels .

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home