Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Craning Boats in

This morning we had to move our boats so Oxfordshire Narrowboats could crane two new boats into the water.  I have never seen this done before so it was rather exciting.

First the crane arrives

DSC05568

then the boats..

DSC05576

My heart was in my mouth as the lorry reversed – look at the offside tyre! It was only after he stopped I noticed that the entire length of the lorry has tyres on it, but still!

DSC05581

Then they tie the straps around the boat

DSC05586

And the crane starts to lift

DSC05589

And for a moment hte boat is flying – I would have loved to be standing on the roof looking at the view

DSC05590

Then it gets lowered

DSC05592

and you wonder whether it will be launched on the concrete instead of the water, but the boat gently moves over the wet stuff

 DSC05593 DSC05594

 DSC05595

And sinks into the water, and then floats.

DSC05599

The boats were then towed up to heyford.

DSC05608

with the second new boat behind the first new boat behind the towing boat

DSC05611

I have never seen two boats towed so it was rather fun to see them snaking past in beautiful control

 DSC05614

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thats very clever you have posted the pictures before the crane turned up.

12:38 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

it is isn't. I have found this new time machine where you can take information from the future into the past, I thought I would try it...works a treat doesn't it!

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home