Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Visitors, White Horse, Wayland's Smithy and Picnics

Claire has a friend called Stefan. I met him last year at Cropredy, and I met him again this year. In conversation it turned out he was coming to Oxford for a visit, so he came to stay on the good ship Bones for a few days. Maffi joined us for the meals and a fabulous day out boating on Sunday.



On Saturday Stefan went to explore the dreamy spires so Mr Paris and I went for a stroll/March/epic expedition to visit the white horse at Uffington. I think it looks more like a ferret, but Mr Paris wasn't impressed so I decided not to mention it again. We had a glorious walk over the hills, down the ridgeway and along to the neolithic burial chambers at Wayland Smithy



Boots and Stanley had a jolly good time marching around the area while Mark and I had a picnic. Mark knows how to do picnics!! Apparently it is my turn next time... that could be interesting.

On returning to the Boat Mr Paris helped me sort out my coolant system which hasn't been behaving. We pulled out lots of 'spare' pipe and now the system looks extremely sensible and seems to work - a job that would have taken me all day took about 30 minutes!

On Sunday Maffi, Stefan and I set sail for Thrupp. Stefan thought the canal was a bit narrow so we went onto the river for him to get some tiller practice. Once he worked out that aiming for dry land was a collision hazard he turned out to be rather good on the tiller, and mastered turning the corners pretty well. Back on the canal he went through the locks perfectly, and then passed out with a bottle of wine on the front deck. His trip was made even more magical as a kingfisher chased us up the canal from Kidlington Green up to Roundham Lock. On route we passed Kate on Morning Mist. I like Kate.

Despite some record breaking locking we didn't arrive in time for tea at the tea rooms, but I did see a glorious site when I came into the 7 day moorings. Oakfield was moored up. Mr Bottle and Wozie (the lovely Mrs Bottle) have been waiting a long time to live their dream afloat, and it was wonderful to see them, the boat and a living dream before my eyes. They look happy, the boat is lovely and I was very happy to see them. They are still here too!



Bottle and Wozie took Boots out for a walk yesterday. I was aching and exhausted after completely over doing it at the weekend, so I was very pleased they were able to do that, and I think Boots was too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Halfie said...

Perhaps he shouldn't have drunk the whole bottle.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh, I love Wayland Smithy! I spent many a happy day exploring it and walking the Ridgeway when I was a child visiting my grandparents who lived in Wantage.

Looks like you had a lovely day for it too!

11:27 AM  
Anonymous PJ said...

Mark looks strangly at home amongst those Neolithic remains ;o)

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home