Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Rubbish on the edges.

Ever since I fell in love with a sink at IKEA and had to re-do the bathroom, I haven't quite managed to finish it. One of the walls is looking very tired with the brown varnish, and the room is quite dark so I thought I would see whether a lick of paint brightened it up.

Before:



Middle:


Last night I took the masking tape off to see how well the edges had come out and it looks AWFUL, the edges are rubbish. I have an edging tool I shall have a go with tonight instead.

next job - a second bathroom cabinet to fill the gap between the shower and the sink.

4 Comments:

Blogger MissT said...

Hi Sweetie - we have a box of 44 150mm x 150mm white tiles you can have for free if that helps at all.xx

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Linda said...

You're supposed to take the tape off (carefully) when the paint's still wet - I was informed by artists on TUG No1 ANNE - it surprised me , also!!
But their stripes on the boat were excellent, so I believed them.

1:03 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Linda - I DID!!!!!

[sulks]

1:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Bones,

Don't worry about masking tape problems. When I was painting and decorating for a living we never used to use it: it's time consuming, fiddly, and the results it gives 9 times out of 10 are PANTS!

Try a small (1 inch or so) good quality brush, (a Purdy synthetic perhaps....) and have a go at cutting in, ie making a straight even line with the new paint over the edge of the material you masked. It's difficult at first, but once mastered is wonderfully satisfying. Breathe out through the brush stroke to steady your hand....

Have a go!It's fun!

Regards

John (wb Pippin)

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home