Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Not for me

Och well, lots of struggling and no progress means programming needs to be put on the back bench forever... which is rather unfortunate as I need to be able to do it in order to progress with my experiments. I often wonder what people in my position do, but it turns out they have 'connections'. I have 'connections' but not into the programming world.

It is rather like boating, but harder. When something breaks on a boat and you can't fix it, you fix it anyway, somehow, but it does get done, albeit slowly at times. There have been many things I have done on my boat and had absolutely no idea how to begin, which is why I have always said everything needs to be done a few times; the first to work out how to approach it, the second to learn from the mistakes and the third to do it properly.

I seem to get somewhere with programming, achieve a bit and that is always good, however, I have got to the point where it just isn't going to happen.

Not sure what happens next... stacking shelves in the local supermarket is looking like an appealing job prospect.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Debbie said...

Nooooo don't do it! I work part time as a " shelf stacker/ cashier. While I am not knocking anybody who does this job, I so don't think things have got that bad in your particular case!! Debbie Nb Tickety Boo.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Bob said...

Programming is a pain. I think I made a word processor once. It took me a day (like 24 hours) and worked very well. I made a few other things, but that was enough for me...

Sometimes it's good to give up stuff.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re; Fixing things the boating way... The fourth time is where you start the sequence all over again cos it's still not right & by that time it's created another 10 jobs... But it's all good fun right?!

H

7:01 PM  
Blogger Keith Lodge said...

I am with Debbie on this one. You would be bored out of your brain stacking shelves. Been there, done that and got the DVD. Don't do it LOL.

8:12 PM  
Blogger S said...

You need Moominpapa. Programming is what he does and he loves to tussle with a knotty problem.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wouldn't be an engineer/scientist if you didn't have days when you want to pack shelves. Hopefully just before the break through

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Steve (NB Albert) said...

Aside from keeping cool and not giving up, my advice is somewhat practical.
You will probably find that there is nothing fundamentally new in what you are attempting (in terms of programming). Somebody has done it before.
As someone who was active in engineering research for over thirty years I always found the book series Numerical Recipes useful. They have lots of handy subroutines for data processing and also have codes available for most common languages. Have a look.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sweetpee what has happened to the man in your life he aint been blogging. Allan

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home