Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Thaw

The world is frightfully sparkly when the ice sets in on the over hanging branches, resting on the delicate teasels and the spiders webs. The view is glorious as the morning sun rises casting its light through the crystals of freeze. It makes the world look so picturesque it is almost like being in a Christmas cake scene; even at night as the darkness descends the world seems surprisingly solid and beautiful. I have noticed something else about the great freeze - it turns ye old human into a most peculiar creature. Our local village swan has been "saved" three times by the boaters or the house dwellers. It would seem the swan is thought to be distressed (but as far as I can gather he is simply breaking ice), thus it is lured to the edge with slices of bread and quickly grabbed around the neck and launched into the air and safely onto the bank; with the swan in shock and the human legging it in the opposite direction I just wish I was there to witness it. Following these incidents I have noticed that the swan has stopped hissing at me as I walk past it - perhaps it is finally learning that Humans are the top dog, or maybe he is concerned I am about to save him...

I am amazed his neck isn't broken!

1 Comments:

Blogger Whitewater said...

For the swan I suggest Swan life line, they are a voluntry organisation who are all trained in handling Swans, they are also a goos source of advice. They are based in Windsor but they have volunteers all over the place. There no is 01753 859397

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home