Thursday, December 04, 2008

Fed Up

On Monday I took my water pump off in order to get a new one. It turns out that the water pump I have on the boat is 'unusual' and therefore needs to be reconditioned as a replacement was not easy to find. Everything about my engine seems to be 'unusual'! The water pump drives the engine to charge the batteries and the hot water. Normally my solar panel provides all my electrical needs, but with our cloudy skies, it isn't doing the job very well at all, so I have been using the engine. The lights are getting dimmer and dimmer, and this evening I will be wondering around the boat by torch light. With no electric, the domestic water pump doesn't work, so I don't have any water. I am also in the process of sorting out my bedroom, so the boat is a complete and utter tip. NB Bones is not a pleasant place to be. Thankfully I have my sterling neighbours to reply on, but their place just isn't 'home' like mine, and I do like to be 'home', dont we all!

This morning I woke early so I could get to work at a reasonable time. I started up the motorbike, but after a while it died. I started it again, and it will only idle at 1000revs and not roar. If I rev it it dies. It only occurred to me on my way into work (thank you Maffi for the lift!) that the air vent on the petrol tank could be blocked - I will check that when I get home.

Two weeks ago my bank card broke in half, and I have no money in my purse. This is very dull, especially when I need to get buses everywhere (thank you again Maffi for the promised lift home tonight!).

Today I have a sprained left wrist, or is it RSI? I have no idea, but I do know that punting my boat down to its new mooring (via reverse so I can fill up with diesel first) (no engine until the water pump comes back), will be hard one handed. I have punted it one handed before but it wasn't enormously fun, and I was in a better mood then!

Boating is lovely, but when something goes wrong, everything goes wrong!

PAH.

5 Comments:

Blogger Halfie said...

Poor Bones! You seem to want to take single-handed boating literally. Can you not get Maffi to tow you?

1:40 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

not in the dark, and he has to move his boat today. I am moving mine when I have daylight hours - tomorrow!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Bottle said...

My Dear Bones ;)

Surely your boats other name is 'Unusual'.

I do hope the pump is not away for too long, on its holiday.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Nomad said...

Makes manual foot pumps look attractive for your water supply, doesn't it?

10:06 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

in part, yes. However, my experience is that if i had those, they would have gone wrong too! I think I will get a wind generator, but I need to check out my new mooring and see whether it works for that, and then find one at a good price - it might take a while! Were i not doing my bedroom up, it would be fine, but as I am, it is all a bit too much chaos for me. - or at least, for now.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home