Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ram Raided

Well, there I was approaching Osney Lock this evening having managed to get to the correct side of the river despite the wind, and was busy minding my own business waiting to go into the lock. It isn't the easiest lock to hold your boat midstream so I was going very slowly indeed... until... I was ram raided by the boat behind. It would appear they were too busy looking behind them than in front OR where they were going!

The impact was so hard my 5ft by 3ft bookcase crammed with books (and some piled on high) moved 6inches along the side! There have been a few casualties, but no-one was hurt. I think my elbow is suffering whip lash, but that doesn't count!

On entry to the lock I had expected the offending article to apologise profusely and pull out copious gifts of floral arrangements and other such things, but sadly not. I did get an apology so it wasn't so bad.

4 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

I recall being reversed into by someone once - it's not as if he even had the excuse of being at the wrong end of the boat.

Speaking of apologies - coming into Stone I slightly touched someone elses boat while trying to avoid a marauding hire boat in a strong cross wind. I had no chance of a conversation, but held up my hand in the best signal I could... later on I passed their boat by bike, and stopped to say sorry properly. It's was a very grudging acceptance; I was mortified it had happened at all, and I think he preferred being in a state of righteous dudgeon about it... ;-)

7:21 PM  
Blogger valonia said...

SINK THEM!

Ah, did I say that out loud?

10:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was not looking behind me!

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bones, I hope no permanent damage was caused!!
Unfortunatly the attitudes found on the roads now seem to have spread to some of the boating world. You don't tend to see people slowing down as much and common courtesy is only shown by the few.
I like Simon feel mortified if I offend someone, are we in a minority ?

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home