Monday, June 30, 2008

Motorbikes on Boats

Well, it finally came to it yesterday morning when I found myself with my bike by my boat along with the urge to see whether I could get it on the front. So, known for my forward planning, I got the gang plank out and put the bike onto it. Then thought for a bit, and decided the motorbike on a rotten plank was going to be disastrous, and then I stuck the front end of the bike on the gunwhales, hailed Maffi and told him to hang on. More heaving of the back end and a realisation this simply wasn't going to work resulted in a plan.
I have a big sheet of 18mm ply and decided to use that as a ramp. The steps I was going to use as an intermediary between the gunwhale and the deck decided to faint and collapse so I was going to need a bit of 'umph'. Not having 'umph' I decided the best thing to do was to 'just get on with it'. So I did. Maffi was ready to continue discussing the plan (boys are like that), so I raced the bike up the ramp, tied the break on with my hair band and passed it to the 'ooh' 'ahh' 'erm' 'ooh' vocals from Maffi to his tender care, then picked up the back end, swivelled it around which was going to be the final twirl leading to a triumphant finale of bike on front deck, and promptly got stuck. So there I was mid 'heave' there was Maffi trying to hold the other end, and my leg at a precarious angle partly supporting the bike, partly striding, and partly supporting me. You can probably ascertain for yourselves that this is not enough leg! Thankfully the chap from along the way asked if we needed a hand. I suggested a plan would be more helpful, and hey presto within minutes the bike was safely positioned in my well deck.

A triumph. How the HELL was I going to get it off again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home