Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bones does NOT have wind.

I was moored up in a mooring minding my own business when my neighbour came along and suggested that my boat smelt a bit. Maffi was with me at the time, and giggled, "a bit?- it STINKS" he said. I was not convinced, but my neighbour agreed. At that point the mooring warden came along and stood at the end of my boat and said "I can smell gas". Now, I KNEW it wasn't gas, so I said "it isn't gas". "No" said Maffi "the front deck just isn't well ventilated at the moment.

So, there I was, in the middle of three people one of whom thought I had wind, TERRIBLE wind. My neighbour knew better because I had already asked a chum to ask her whether I could leave my other heron in her garden. She wasn't too keen, so I left it on my boat - hence the stench. I wasn't sure whether to fess up to the real cause of the smell, and decided not to.

I took action instead, and turned the boat around, so the pointy bit was out in the water and the blunt end was moored up (for those of you not in the know, pointy and blunt are well known nautical terms of the forgotten era of Zar). Bad smell cured (for the passer by at least!).

So, this weekend I decided it was probably time to do something with said corpse. As Maffi was loitering around when I passed his boat, I decided to invite him along for a cruise. He could steer the boat, and I could do the 'biz' on the front deck.

What a lovely trip into Oxford we had. Just above Abingdon Lock we moored up for about 5minutes watching a grey wagtail hover just above the water. I presume it has a nest under the moorings there. Hovering birds are absolutely mesmerising to watch.

I sat on the front of the boat for what has to have been the longest time ever. It is so beautiful, so quiet, and so gorgeous as you cut through the water. If you ignore the 17tonnes behind you, you can actually imagine you are on a chair whizzing through the aqua. Bliss.

We arrived just in time for me to scoot off to a concert for the evening.

3 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

and that's the thing about having your own boat - sitting on the front deck whilst cruising is the best thing ever*, and yet you get to do it so rarely... ;-)

* well, ok, there's other things, but...

11:06 AM  
Blogger valonia said...

It was rather amusing. May be a spot in the garden is a good idea after all!

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure the Grey Wagtail was not trying to escape being added to your collection of skeletons.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home