Friday, March 07, 2008

Bones' Health

I haven't had a very good year so far with my health, and I have found it increasingly difficult to concentrate, keep focused, stay awake and do my job, and constantly suffer a general thick headness and dizziness. Even walking to the bus stop was too exhausting. As a result I have put my social life to one side, and dedicated any cognitive function to my work during the day. This left me exhausted in the evenings and apart from a few exceptions I was barely able to speak, let alone stay awake, most nights I was sleeping at least 12 hours.

I have learnt over the last few months to pace myself and to plan everything in advance so I can ensure I can function. Last week I saw my consultant and mentioned my tiredness. After a few tests it was clear my cognitive function was not up to speed, and seems my exhaustion could be a result of the concussion I suffered in December. This to me is fabulous news because I can now pinpoint my malaise to something specific rather than a neurosis (which I was afraid it might be!). I didn't have a proper rest at Christmas, so it is possible I didn't have enough time for my brain to recover from the knock.

In order to give my brain the rest it needs, I have decided to extend my Easter holidays by a further 3 days and will be enjoying a full 2 weeks off work. I cannot wait.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bruce in Sanity said...

Hang in there, Mortimer! Hope you get better soon - it's miserable being tired all the time.
I take it you've had your blood glucose and HbA1c checked?

All the very best

Bruce

3:56 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Bruce - no I haven't... I haven't had any blood tests at all, perhaps I shall demand some.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered Carbon Monoxide poisoning if your stove and/or vents aren't working properly.

You can get cheap carbon monixide alarms from B&Q etc. if you don't already have one.

I hope you get better soon, whatever it is.

9:52 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

paul - I have a CO tester on the boat and check it regularly, it isn't that. And I feel poorly off the boat too!

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey As you know whatever we can do to help .................

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better after your 2 weeks of rest. Make sure you do rest! Hope to see you soon, Kim

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you a speedy recovery,winter in itself can be debilitating.Summer is coming,hopefully!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home