Thursday, March 20, 2008

Banbury to Fenny Compton 12 locks and some photographs

Not all scruffy boats are without a licence. I did notice this one didn't have a NABO sticker on it, so I know they will be pleased, as it seems one member (who shall remain nameless) doesn't like scruffy boats. It did however have an up to date licence (which the nameless member will find astonishing):



I liked this old pump at the lock. I lifted the lid and found a well, or at least a deep hole with water in. I have no idea what it is:



I was rather surprised to see these Ducks hanging out:



Just past Cropredy I saw some lovely old boats, and a living van. I love living vans. Here is one old boat:



And here is the tunnel, not covered. You can't see it here, but the boat in front has a HUGE beard! I loved it.



Not only did I not get a photo of the beard (my manners got the better of me for once), but I didn't get a picture of the owl I saw. Stunning.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They aren't ducks in a tree me old Bones - them be Cormorants of the genus Phalacrocoracidae

Have a great week's holiday!

Love
Chris xxx

9:40 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

nope, they be ducks. =0)

Actually, I did wonder if they were, but decided their bodies weren't quite the shape for anything different, then I found it highly amusing that there were ducks in the trees, and then decided they should be ducks!

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goldeneye, a species of diving duck actually nests in trees. Keep an "eye" open.

Mukiwa

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, cormorants, nasty fish eating pie-rats, if you are a fisherman & not a member of the RSPB. Pity they don`t eat signal crayfish, the Mac` is infested. On the subject of aliens, how far have the Zebra mussels got so far? Look for them, you may spot some near the Thames. I wonder if crayfish will eat Zebra mussels.

11:36 PM  
Blogger ianongrace said...

PS. signal crayfish are good to eat if you purge them for a while. It appears that the locals are catching on & they are getting to a good size. I dont think that Zebra mussels are, but they have a good foothold on the Weaver & T&M. lots of them, to small to consider worthwhile but they spit at you from the lock walls. Might be better than slugs though!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home