Saturday, February 09, 2008

Boating is not funny.

Today is one of those days where living on a boat seems to sap one's energy. Many people (I am told) buy a new boat so they can enjoy it and not have to do anything to it. Indeed someone who has a new boat sat and watched me struggle and said how pleased they were they didn't have to do that. I am on the opposite end of the scale, my boat needs everything done to it, this is something I usually to love. I have, over the years, learnt all sorts of facinating things; plumbing, electricity, gas, flooring, floating and bailing. My boat is a place of exploration, experimentation and creation. I don't have a television, and I don't need one, the boat provides me all the entertainment I need. I also have more energy than a dulux puppy and rarely enjoy sitting around doing nothing - unless I am sitting in the dark listening to the sounds of nature. Each moment of time is precious, and I just love exploring and learning. Creativity is my relaxation.

This week however I am suffering from exhaustion. I would love to sit on the sofa with my feet up looking out of the front doors at the blue sky. Unfortunately this is absolutely not possible because there is no-where to sit! In a fit of peak I filled the boat up with 'useful furniture' which has turned out to be very un-useful indeed, and takes up rather a lot of space.

I am not sure what I miss most, the opportunity to sit down and listen to the world pass by, or someone on the boat helping me to try and 'make it work' - which usually ends up in all sorts of giggling as it fails and hurrahs when finally it succeeds (or at least enables one to move around the boat!).

Either way, it is a glorious day and unless I sort this boat out, I will not be able to take a walk across the fields and try out my binoculars.

I suppose the up side is that once it is all sorted out I can have a lovely time on my holiday in March enjoying the countryside without having to slave over a hot saw or trip over all the things I seem to have accumulated. Perhaps I will start my afternoon with a good clearout - again!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

solution_ a boat sale not a jumble just a boat sale, a notice outside "chest of draws for sale" and you might sell all, to some tow path wanderer.


Free2live

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

put it on your roof, wake up in the morning and it`ll be gone,or burn it............burn it all...burn burn........BURN :*)

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the low times that make the high times so good.

1:12 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

free2live..... good idea! but where will my parents retire to if I do that! =o)

Majort - good to see you, I hve missed your prose.

Greywolf - are you sure!

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home