Friday, January 18, 2008

Lady of Burma

I went to the theatre yesterday to see The Lady of Burma. This is the first monologue that I have seen in the flesh and I found it gripping, moving and disturbing. It was during my time south of the river that I first heard of the plight of Burma and the terrible things that are going on there, yet I still don't really know what is happening, so I was pleased to be able to go and hear more. I find it crippling that I am in the West and do nothing to help those suffering overseas, yet find that despite my inactivity I am wrapped up in riches and battles for oil, once again I am reminded that sitting on the fence equates burying ones head in the sand. It is hard to know exactly what to do. What I do know is that I need to increase my awareness of foreign affairs and support for the suffering.
This play really is worth seeing. Not only does it provide 80 minutes of education, the combination of wit and terror is not only challenging, but inspiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home