Thursday, November 22, 2007

In the event of an emergency

If my boat catches fire, the firemen will come; if I am attacked or need assistance, the police will come; if I have an accident, the paramedics will come. Living on a boat is made so much more secure knowing that wherever I am the emergency services can get to me and assist. I wonder how much they all get paid?

A Policeman earns 32-36K (40hrs per week)
A Fire Fighter earns 34-37K (42hours a week)
A Paramedic earns 18- 24K (39 hours a week).

Did you know that Paramedics are not part of the emergency services? They are a service provided by the NHS.

The AA claim to be the 4th emergency service ( I wonder who the third is):

A Nationwide Roadside Technician earns 25K but with perks this can be boosted to 35K (about 40hrs per week)

If I had to put another category into an emergency service it would be someone who could make cakes. Perhaps this is the missing 3rd emergency service?

Pastry Chefs earn about the same as paramedics, but I saw a job advertised for 35K for one.


Some how the maths just don’t seem to be fair.

The very idea that a Paramedic is paid less than the police or the fire service is bad enough, but the fact they aren’t an emergency service turns my stomach. I for one rely on an ambulance service just as much as the police and the fire.

5 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

I think it's the coastguard, but we're a bit inland for them.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Free2live said...

And the Vicar? Is that not an emergency service should one need the Box in a hurry?

11:15 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

The ambulance service is the third emergency service. You get them by ringing the emergency number. It doesn't really matter who provides the service; fire brigades are provided by local authorities. A number of people complained to the ASA when the AA started using its "Fourth Emergency Service" slogan, because they said that was the Coastguard. It was even mentioned in the Lords (bottom of this page):
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld199900/ldhansrd/vo991209/text/91209w02.htm

1:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Its hardly an emergency Mrs A

9:56 AM  
Blogger Kev's Blog Space said...

You really are an optimist. "If you phone the Police they will come".

Don't bank on it!, least not in any time that would be of use to you. I have had occasions to call 999 for Police assistance. On 2 occasions it took over 3 hours to attend, and in 1 incident it was less than 250m from the Police station

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home