Monday, October 15, 2007

Fishermen

What a lovely evening on Saturday; Grahoom, Matilda and Bottle came over to Maffi's boat for a natter. On sunday morning Bottle arose bright and early, and so did I, and subsequently Maffi. The morning passed dozily until at least 2 cups of coffee had passed our lips, and then the day began: time to reverse Maffis boat to the lavatory dealers (college cruisers pump out). Bottle took the tiller for part of the way, and I for the next bit. As we emerged from a willow tree I noticed a montrosity in the canal and a line of fishermen. I normally like fishermen, they are pleasent and enjoy the canal as much as I do, but the first of the four fisherman was a complete growl monster. Before I could focus on him he started yelling, I persumed he was shouting so I could hear him above the engine "are you planning to reverse through here?" he said "yes" I said - whereupon the chap started saying all sorts of things I decided I couldn't understand. It was time to moor up and have a chat with him. Obviously something I was doing was causing him a blood pressure problem and although he was prepared to yell accross the canal, I felt I needed to display a bit more decorum. I eventually strolled over to him and he quite aggressively showed me the colour of the water. (I am one of those irritating people who gets calmer and calmer the stroppier the person shouting at me gets.) Enchanting I thought and told him I was interested in what he said but could we have some manners, and I won't tell him about fishing, and he can refrain from telling me how to boat (apparently a reverse gear isn't for going backwards!). His friend was far more pleasent so I decided to let fisherman leap up and down. Apparently I was about to reverse through a fishing match. Ah, I thought, that isn't friendly of me, I wonder what we can do about this. Fisherman 2 got stroppy and said " we are fishing from 9 till 2 its 10 now". I asked whether he wanted us to moor up and wait, and he rather churlishly told me "yeah right, like you are going to moor up for that long". Ah, bliss (I love it when people tell you you won't do something you have already decided you will do!) . I told him of course I would if that was what was required, especially as they were in the middle of a match - after all we are all trying to use the canal and a bit of take (and good manners) doesn't go a miss. "ooh thank you very much" they said (finally some manners!). What a transformation! When we returned to the boat several hours later there was a note on the hatch "thank you very much, the jolly anglers" Either this is the group who call themselves "the jolly anglers" or they have the best sense of humour I have ever seen! Love 'em

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home