Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Stuart: A Life Backwards

On Sunday evening I watched the television adaptation of this book by Alexander Masters. I had read a review of the book, and was looking forward to reading it, so you can imagine how delighted I was when I noticed it was on TV, especially as I was on Maffis boat, and he has one. You can see the review here

Although the story is not a happy one, homelessness rarely is, it has a delightful charm about it, and is full of humour. I like this unlikely match between violent alcoholic and writer, and the very idea that these two people had a friendship; both from wildly different backgrounds and futures, but ultimately able to appreciate and love each other as they shared the present. You can't help but love them yourself.

I spent many a time with the alcoholic homeless people of Cambridge, and to revisit that scene, albeit by television, I found rather moving.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

`I spent many a time with the alcoholic homeless people of Cambridge`

you have to buy your own specialbrew now :)

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home