Friday, August 31, 2007

today's insanity

This morning I set off from Weybridge to return to the boat and hopefully pick up my car. I was going to pack and tomorrow I was going to drive to a location, abandon my car and head up to the banter in Napton. How much of this did I do? well.... I boarded the train in Weybridge.

As the train raced through the countryside and I was reflecting on how it seemed inappropriate to go home half way through my holiday, so when I got to Reading I left the station for a walk in the country. I asked the nearest bus uniform containing a person and asked which bus would take me into the country. He pointed and I boarded the bus and asked for a ticket to the country and was given one - no questions asked. Lovely.

We raced through the town, but when I looked out of the window I failed to see any of the country... no rolling hills, no wild flowers and no stone houses. Hmmm I thought... perhaps I should have been more specific. We passed a sign for Theale.. hmm I thought (again) - Milly M is going to Theale. I asked the driver where we were and where he was taking me to 'the canal' he said 'you can get to it through Theale'. Ah, I thought. I asked the bus where the canal was, and eventually a lady told me, but I had missed the stop... but the lovely driver stopped anyway. Splendid.

I strolled along the canal (when I found it!) and enjoyed the wild flowers, the fishermen, the beautiful winding water and the woods alongside it. I walked for a while, and then decided to stop to do some writing (what was I thinking? Mostly 'la la, lovely flowers, la la nice woods, la la aren't holidays grand!'). As I rested some boats came through the lock and I asked one of them how far Aldermaston was (which is where Maffi had said he was earlier)... I told them I was planning to surprise Maffi and Co. (see there was a plan eventually) and they told me to hop aboard and they would give me a lift. Canal people really are fabulous! Jim and Diane on Spirit of Gizmo were a lovely couple, but I only managed to chat for a short time before I heard Milly M's horn beeping (I swear Maffi is the only boater who beeps when he comes around a corner), and told them his boat was approaching. It took Maffi a while to spot me on the back of the boat, but a smooth transition took place, and I am now aboard Milly M.

Next time I go for a wonder I really ought to make sure I have some clean clothes! As I was walking along the canal I was rather dismayed as I could smell the vial odour of rotting bones (moi) which is what persuaded me to stop walking in the first place. I boarded the great ship, raided Maffi's wardrobe and I am now chilling out, taking air and enjoying my million dollar view across the river to sign which tells me guard dogs are on the looses - KEEP OUT!
Tomorrow I shall return to Oxford, pack and go to the Napton Banter, but for now I will enjoy the sun set, the quietness and the peace. This is what we call bliss.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Mort

Your bliss sounds divine

Pete

11:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have no idea what made you come to me but I am soooooo pleased. Thank you.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Thing is, you might smell bad but compared to that damned heron you're Chanel no. 5

8:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oi lady wheres moi jumpa.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I see Adam know a dead heron when he smells one!

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home