Thursday, July 19, 2007

Canal Boat Magazine

Blogs are fascinating things, we all write them for different reasons, but I started this one so my family could keep up with what I am doing. Needless to say none of them are avid followers! Periodically I will send out an email to the parents and siblings that goes along the lines of - "dear devoted family, I have recently updated my blog...". This causes immense excitement from them all and I get a prompt email asking what the web address is followed by all sorts of 'ooooh's'. This is all very well, but I send this sort of message to the family every quarter with the same response. One day after sending out an email, reminding them of the address and fielding the 'gosh haven't you done a lot' I thought I would check the guest book to see whether there were any messages. Low and behold there was a private message from someone claiming to be an editor asking whether I would be interested in writing for them. I immediately assumed the entry was from my sister in an attempt to be funny; imagine my surprise when I discovered that this was not only genuine, but has led to me having a column in Canal Boat Magazine. To say I am overwhelmed would be an understatement, but I am delighted - it is rather fun seeing oneself in glossy print!

The family have taken this new approach to getting them to read about my boating antics in the usual way; when I told them that the magazine was out they asked "which one is that then" followed by "ooo lovely" and "would you buy me a copy".

Despite the fact that my parents haven't quite advanced from the 19th century, my mother has managed to master the internet, but my father still prefers his quill pen. I think that between this blog and the mag they might finally be able to keep up!

Many Thanks CanalBoat!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being asked to write for Canal Boat. It was amusing to hear about your eccentric friend and how you began to live aboard.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Whitewater said...

You always seem to be lucky, or do you make you own luck. Someone is watching over you.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Congratulations Mort!!!Well done you

10:35 PM  
Blogger minister said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home