Monday, April 30, 2007

shower genius

My first lesson in plumbing was water pressure. I knew the theory, but the practice only came when I cut a pipe and forgot to switch the water off (DOH!). Water comes out quite quickly and fast! Ooops.

As you know I have an aversion to cleanliness, but as I will be leaving my marina mooring and becoming a pirate of the open water I decided I really ought to get cracking with the bathroom and make sure I can shower when necessary (sigh).

My funk not wonky shower tray is coming along well, but unfortuantely the drain plug leaks so I am waiting to get another one. The shower came from homebase, works on low pressures down to 0.1bar and is a manual lever. The fittings are not supplied so I have had to find 1/2inch to 15mm pipe fittings. This is easy enough, but they are all different, and when you want the 15mm pipe to point downwards and not upwards you have to try several fittings! I have fitted it, tested it, and amazingly enough it doesn't leak. I used compression fittings, but on the male 1/2inch I also added a rubber washer. I couldn't find any the right size so lock boy (who was visiting again) wittled some down for me from some chunky rubbers I had.

I am not sure how I will seal the funky (not wonky) shower tray. There are few gaps where the tray has rounded courners and the walls are square. It has been suggested I use 'no more gaps' and then seal them.

All in all, it might have been a good idea to have bought a shower tray the right size, but hey ho... why do things the easy way?!

I just need to find a shower curtain rail that fits, and a material/washable shower curtain. I am hoping freecycle will come up trumps for the latter, or perhaps I should make one.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Pirate? YARR!!!!!!

Here is a link for you:

http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/yarr.htm

9:00 AM  
Blogger andyswarbs said...

You may wish to join the new freecycling group based around Kidlington
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kidlington-Freecycling-Group/

10:02 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

OK I shall do that! I am a member of the one in Oxford, but the kidlington is a bit more local for me at the moment. Thanks!

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home